Diastasis recti abdominis (DRA) is an impairment characterized by a midline separation of the rectus abdominis muscles along the linea alba. It has its onset during pregnancy and the first weeks following childbirth. There is scant knowledge on both prevalence and risk factors for development of the condition.
The aim of this study was to investigate the prevalence of DRA at gestational week 35 and three timepoints postpartum, possible risk factors, and the relationship between DRA and lumbo-pelvic pain.
Ultrasound images of inter rectus distance (IRD) were recorded in 84 healthy primiparous women, at three locations on the linea alba. The IRD was measured at: gestational week 35 and 6–8, 12–14, and 24–26 weeks postpartum. Diagnosis of DRA was defined as 16 mm at 2 cm below the umbilicus. Independent sample t-test and binary logistic regression was used to assess differences and risk factors in women with and without DRA and women with and without lumbo-pelvic pain. P < 0.05 was considered statistically significant.
The prevalence of DRA decreased from 100% at gestational week 35–39% at 6 months postpartum. No statistically significant differences were found in prepregnancy body mass index (BMI), weight gain, baby's birth weight or abdominal circumference between women with and without DRA at 6 months postpartum. Women with DRA at 6 months postpartum were not more likely to report lumbo-pelvic pain than women without DRA.
DRA is prevalent at 6 months postpartum, but is not linked with lumbo-pelvic pain.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
- Rectus abdominis diastasis.J Plast Surg Hand Surg. 2014 Jun; 48: 163-169
- Collagen fibers in linea alba and rectus sheaths. I. General scheme and morphological aspects.J Surg Res. 2001 Mar; 96: 127-134
- The normal width of the linea alba in nulliparous women.Clin Anat. 2009 Sep; 22: 706-711
- Articular mobility in an African population.Ann Rheum Dis. 1973 Sep; 32: 413-418
- Effects of exercise on diastasis of the rectus abdominis muscle in the antenatal and postnatal periods: a systematic review.Physiotherapy. 2014 Mar; 100: 1-8
- The effect of emotional distress on persistent pelvic girdle pain after delivery: a longitudinal population study.BJOG. 2013 Jan; 120: 32-40
- Mode of delivery and persistence of pelvic girdle syndrome 6 months postpartum.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013 Apr; 208 (e1–7): 298
- Do elite athletes experience low back, pelvic girdle and pelvic floor complaints during and after pregnancy?.Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2007 Oct; 17: 480-487
- Incidence of diastasis recti abdominis during the childbearing year.Phys Ther. 1988 Jul; 68: 1082-1086
- Intra-rater reliability of rectus abdominis diastasis measurement using dial calipers.Aust J Physiother. 1997; 43: 109-114
- Interrater reliability of diastasis recti abdominis measurement.Phys Ther. 1987 Jul; 67: 1077-1079
- Risk factors for diastasis of the recti abdominis.J Assoc Chart Physiother Womens Health. 2005; 97: 49-54
- The effects of an exercise program on diastasis recti abdominis in pregnant women.J Womens Health Phys Ther. 2005; 29: 11
- Postpartum characteristics of rectus abdominis on ultrasound imaging.Man Ther. 2008 May; 13: 112-121
- Low-back pain in pregnancy. Abdominal muscles, sit-up performance, and back pain.Spine. 1990 Jan; 15: 28-30
- Structure and function of the abdominal muscles in primigravid subjects during pregnancy and the immediate postbirth period. Physical therapy.Am Phys Ther Assoc. 1996 Jul 1; 76: 750-762
- Reliability and construct validity of self-report questionnaires for patients with pelvic girdle pain.Phys Ther. 2012 Jan; 92: 111-123
- Natural resolution of rectus abdominis diastasis. Two single case studies.Aust J Physiother. 2000; 46: 301-307
- The relationships between inter-recti distance measured by ultrasound imaging and abdominal muscle function in postpartum women: a 6-month follow-up study.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2011 Jun; 41: 435-443
- Physiotherapy in obstetrics and gynaecology.2004
- International standards for anthropometric assessment.2012
- Does group training during pregnancy prevent lumbopelvic pain? A randomized clinical trial.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2007 Jan; 86: 276-282
- Test–retest and intrarater reliability of 2-dimensional ultrasound measurements of distance between rectus abdominis in women.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2012 Nov; 42: 940-946
- Reliability of the inter-rectus distance measured by palpation. Comparison of palpation and ultrasound measurements.Man Ther. 2013 Aug; 18: 294-298
- Diastasis rectus abdominis and – pelvic pain and dysfunction – are they related?.J Womens Health Phys Ther. 2009; 33: 15
- Diastasis recti and umbilical hernia causes, recognition and repair.S D J Med. 1990 Oct; 43: 5-8
- The abdominal linea alba: an anatomo-radiologic and biomechanical study.Surg Radiol Anat. 1996; 18: 281-288
- Are diagnostic criteria for general joint hypermobility and benign joint hypermobility syndrome based on reproducible and valid tests? A review of the literature.J Rheumatol. 2007 Apr; 34: 798-803
- Clinical course of pelvic girdle pain postpartum – impact of clinical findings in late pregnancy.Man Ther. 2014 Jun; 19: 190-196
- Prevalence of diastasis recti abdominis in a urogynecological patient population.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2007 Mar; 18: 321-328
- Does regular exercise during pregnancy influence lumbopelvic pain? A randomized controlled trial.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2012 May; 91: 552-559
- Changes in deep abdominal muscle thickness during common trunk-strengthening exercises using ultrasound imaging.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2008 Oct; 38: 596-605
- European guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of pelvic girdle pain.Eur Spine J. 2008 Jun; 17: 794-819
Published online: September 18, 2014
Accepted: September 11, 2014
Received in revised form: September 3, 2014
Received: March 21, 2014
© 2014 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.